Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Christian World View and Technology - Part II

In A Christian World View and Technology - Part I, the first aspect of a Christian world view on technology I discussed was whether or not technology (as defined as being the craft or handiwork of mankind) is inherently sinful or evil to use. I determined it was not inherently sinful, given that technological craft of men is used by God (both Old and New Testament).

[Note: I use the term "technology" to apply to the general area of mankind's craft and ability to use and make tools for various purposes. While I do not limit the term to high-tech devices like computers and mobile phones, I believe it completely encompasses modern electronic-based technology]

So then, we look at the second aspect or question of a Christian world view on technology: if it is not inherently evil to use technology in general, are there technologies that are sinful to use due to the nature of their construction? I believe this is important to address before we can even look at the intended use of the technology. Given that we have choices in what we do, any use of something that is made is an implicit approval of how it is made.

This may seem an odd question to bring up in looking at a Christian world view at first, but I believe it is more relevant now than perhaps ever before.

Now, if the technology in question plainly requires something outright sinful or ungodly in its production, then it is incumbent on those in a Christian walk to reject the technology, or to seek an alternative that avoids the pitfalls of an evil beginning. We are commanded to be "wise as serpents, and harmless as doves" [Matthew 10:16]. Being "wise as serpents" addresses what we know and understand. Being "harmless as doves" directly addresses our behavior: what we say and do. To be wise as serpents we need to understand the way of the enemy in this world, and know about some things that we should not do. However, being harmless as doves means that what we do (and therefore, what we use to do what we do) should not bring harm.

Likewise, the Christian is commanded to "abstain from all appearance of evil." [I Thessalonians 5:22] Rather, we are to seek the good things and approve those things that are good. [Philipians 1:10, 4:8] When going about our daily activities and duties in life, we must not appear to even endorse those acts that it is our duty to avoid. We must then consider, from the perspective of serving Christ, "Will the technology I use endorse the sinful acts of others, even if I do not use it sinfully myself?"

This is why I believe this question is perhaps more directly pointed for us today than it was for those before us, even a few decades ago. When the power of technology increases, the ability to affect more and more people increases as well. As knowledge increases, the ability to make technology in more daring or destructive ways increases along with it. This applies to high-tech electronics, medical technology, or even clothing and housing construction.

Before we utilize any technology, a consistently Christian world view must be used to interpret the construction of the technology in the light of its "evilness" or goodness. We need to consider if it requires the enslavement of a people, or the destruction of the lives of others, or the death of the innocent, or some other act which would, if the technology is used, no longer render us harmless as doves.

I will not presume to make for you a comprehensive list of technologies for you to use or not use. Not only do I not have infallible knowledge, I also cannot be your conscience. Christian obedience (and therefore a Christian world view) is ultimately a matter of faith and conscience before God and the Son. And, while we are responsible for our behavior one with another in a way of Christian fellowship, we must also answer to Him before His judgment seat, and receive according as we have done [I Corinthians 5:10].

The best guide I have found then is this: can I, with a clear conscience, go before Christ and say "I used this tool, knowing how it was made."

To bring this back to computer technology specifically, I have found that I can say "yes" to computers and like technology with clear conscience, as long as I can purchase components from makers that I am satisfied do not engage in slave labor and the like. Also, I can only use software that is not stolen with clear conscience, since I place the acquiring of the technology in the same category as its construction (i.e. how it came to me).

To be concluded in A Christian World View and Technology - Part III

No comments: